Italian meatballs with mozzarella cheese
Stovetop, baked, or microwavable meatballs to satisfy your love for Italian food!
Cost: $4 per serving
- 1 Stovetop Optional
- 1 Microwave
- 1 lb Ground beef, turkey, or chicken Can be frozen, thaw beforehand
- 3/4 cup Shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp salt Can find at Dollar Stores
- 1/2 tbsp Dried Basil Can find at Dollar Stores
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder Can find at Dollar Stores
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder Can find at Dollar Stores, an MCT2D Favorite
- 1/2 tsp Ground black pepper Can find at Dollar Stores
- 5 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Place ground meat, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and spices in a bowl and blend thoroughly. Form the mixture into meatballs, about 1 oz (30 grams) each. It helps to keep your hands wet while forming the balls.
- Put meatballs in a microwave safe baking dish.
- Cover dish with plastic wrap and microwave at 70% power for 12 minutes.
- To make
- Uncover; add canned tomatoes, salt and pepper, extra seasonings (optional).
- If you can, check internal temperature of a larger meatball and look for pinkness of meat. Internal temperature should be at least 165 F degrees. If it’s lower and you still see pinkness cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. If you don't have a thermometer, slice a meatball open and make sure all the pinkness is gone.
- Add low-sugar tomato sauce and cheese and microwave at 70% power for 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted and sauce is warm
Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 39g